Claims experience shows that theft losses can be prevented when a central station burglar alarm is installed and activated in your home. Improve your family’s security and reduce the potential of home intrusion by knowing the basics for safety and alarm component options:
- Activate your alarm system when you are away and at night.
- Alert your neighbors when you will be away for even short periods of time.
- Confirm all accessible openings in your home are protected, including second floor doors and windows. Your alarm consultant can design a system that is best for you and your family.
- vigilant – keep valuable papers such as insurance policies, appraisals and other important information in a locked and bolted safe in your house or in an off-premise safety deposit box.
- inquisitive – ask your alarm consultant about installing cellular back-up or a radio device for signal continuity. Should your phone lines be compromised, a signal will still reach the central station or police department alerting them of trouble.
- informed – ask your installer about panic buttons or codes you can enter in your system that will send a silent alarm should you be home when an intruder enters your residence.
- aware – consider other central station burglar alarm components that are available to protect your family and valuables such as:
- door contacts
- window contacts
- motion sensors
- glass break sensors – detects the high frequency given off by the breaking of glass
TAKE CARE TO:
- clear ladders and any items that can give access to high windows or the second floor.
- turn on lights both on the inside and outside of your home.
- empty your mailboxes while away by having someone pick up your mail or arranging for it to be kept at the post office.
- monitor information you and family members post. Social media can tip off burglars that you are on vacation.
This loss control information is advisory only. The author assumes no responsibility for management or control of loss control activities. Not all exposures are identified in this article. Contact Landmark Risk Management & Insurance for coverage advice and policy service.